The University of Luxembourg is an equal opportunity employer. The position is a full-time position (40 h/week), fixed-term contract for 36 months, employee and student status. The successful candidate will be based in the Institute of Education & Society (in the Department of Social Sciences) and a member of the Doctoral School in Humanities and Social Sciences. The doctoral candidate will conduct research leading to the completion of a doctoral thesis in the sociology of (higher) education and/or science studies. Part of a small, multicultural research team, the candidate will have demonstrated interest and experience in the sociology of (higher) education and/or (comparative) higher education and research policy or related fields.
Activities & roles:
- Conduct independent research leading to submission of a dissertation (monograph or cumulative) in the sociology of higher education.
- Publication in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at scientific conferences (English, German and/or French).
- International research collaboration in the project “Relational Quality: Developing Quality through Collaborative Networks and Collaboration Portfolios” (Q-KNOW), conducted by the Universities of Hannover, Mannheim, and Luxembourg (qknow.uni.lu)
- Transfer of relevant results to diverse communities: science, policy, and wider publics.
- Teach seminar(s) in sociology of education and/or research methods annually (in the Master in Social Sciences and Educational Sciences program: masses.uni.lu)
- Assume administrative responsibilities within the research group and manage student research assistants.
- Establish and maintain networks with a range of stakeholders and researchers in Europe and beyond.
- Excellent Master’s degree in sociology or social sciences
- Knowledge of theories and empirical findings on institutions and organizations in higher education and science.
- Advanced expertise in applying social scientific research method (quantitative, qualitative, mixed methods).
- Fluency in English and German.
The University of Luxembourg offers
- An international, multi-lingual research environment
- Full-time contract (3 + 1 years); very attractive remuneration
- Intensive mentorship
- Membership in a strong, dynamic research team
- Personal workspace at the University of Luxembourg’s Belval Campus
Candidates should submit the following documents:
- Motivation letter
- A short (3 page) thesis proposal draft outlining research interests
- List of publications (if available)
- Copies of diplomas and MA transcript(s)
The digital application in English oder German (reference: RCREQ0004329) has to be submitted to:
For further information please contact Justin J.W. Powell, Professor of Sociology of Education